Wednesday, June 2, 2010

The declaration of the Mayor

Ladies and gentlemen, in recent days has been much talk of responsibility. Of political responsibility, leadership and responsibility of who is willing to accept them.
The accident on Waidmarkt is an event - so serious that afterwards nothing is like before.
From the beginning I did it my political responsibility to do everything so that this crisis can be processed in Cologne as it it is appropriate. Doing everything possible to help the victims and stakeholders.
Doing everything possible to guarantee maximum safety during ongoing construction of the subway.
Doing everything possible to limit the damage to our cultural heritage threatened by destruction and to promote the new building for the archive.
Do everything possible to ensure that the Government wherever possible, supported the prosecuting attorney in the investigation.
Doing everything in my power lying in order to regain lost trust.
That, ladies and gentlemen, is my understanding of political responsibility, which I wore in the subway project, will continue to wear and carry.
The last few days, the Council meeting on Thursday, have made it very clear to me that the spill and its consequences more and more drawn into the campaign. There are those who welcome it, are against any campaign-taboo. I understand this argument democratic theory, I respect them.
I do not agree with it. I am not afraid of confrontation. Of course I am of the opinion that we have the things that affect the spill and its consequences, intense debate. Intense, but fairly and objectively.
But I am today - just as immediately after the collapse of the Historical Archives - the belief that the spill and its consequences for Cologne Serious is something quite extraordinary, something where it is inappropriate to move on to the usual political rituals. When it is inappropriate to seek political profit.
I'm still convinced that the respect for the victims, the respect for the bad consequences for patients, respect for the cultural disaster and the respect for all who have been weeks in use to help that this respect it requires, keep out the misfortune of the campaign, as he is led here in Cologne at the moment.
And I am convinced that it is not good, when everything you do the mayor and chief leader of the City Council now is considered among electoral considerations and comments on or under the general suspicion is to be electorally motivated.
Above all, I am still convinced that the only proper way, how can we deal with the deep wound that is the countless citizens living example of us: As we stand together, support each other and each in his place its part to help us cope with existing tasks which are planned for the best possible way. Objective, goal-oriented, non-partisan, timely and transparent manner.
For the tasks before us is the misfortune with its consequences now, they are so large that we can master it only if we stand together.
I have called several times about the Council and in other places that we have the misfortune that we eliminate this serious and highly sensitive topic in the politi-cal wrangling. The fact that we all pull together.
My pleas fell on deaf ears. Instead, speculation is further suspected, denigrated, prejudiced. Obviously many of the election is more important than the long-term good of our city. Obviously there are many who know no taboos - and that is not democratic-considerations, but for electoral reasons.
Whether that be promising as regards the election outcome, can be then ge is. I believe in any case that the citizens of this bickering like. I believe that they differ very much between the politically motivated search for scapegoats, and the honest desire to bring the truth to light and this city - to make especially in this crisis -.
The staff of my administration, I am sure, do not want such a campaign. Because it paralyzes the necessary developments in our city, it paralyzes the implementation of the agreements and upcoming big decisions, and that's the last thing we can use now.
This way of dealing with the disaster, this way to exploit it in the election campaign harm our citizens, it is detrimental to the city.
My job as mayor is to keep damage from this city and its citizens. So I am trying day and night - 365 days a year. This is my job, that's my office that I, as a directly elected Mayor and 1 citizens have received from the people of Cologne as a mandate.
And because I want to do everything to meet this responsibility, I have decided to withdraw my candidacy for mayor for the next legislative period. Only then do I see the possibility of the accident on Waidmarkt from the campaign to remove.
This decision is to me - you can imagine - was very hard.
For this office - a most honorable in the fourth largest city in Germany - I wear full respect and affection, to work with pride in this great city and father with a joy for this city and its people. Cologne is one - Cologne is my dream job.
 I am convinced that I have in common with many others here achieved a lot as mayor for the city. I can look back on many successes, but this is not the time to discuss that.
And I had many plans that far on the 20th October go. Plans for more family-friendly, feel good for a dynamic city on the move, a city in which the people. And actually, I'm also happy election, trust me to win, all against this opponent.
But above all - and I stressed in my nomination speech - it is the people in this city, there are many wonderful encounters that motivate me and let me grow in the desire to compete again. The many people that me and my family have just in recent days and weeks, met with encouragement and support, I tell you!
But just the people in this city I am guilty of doing now what is essential for the city: to do everything in my power to deal with them together with the crisis. Doing everything possible to prevent damage to the city, caused by the fact that the disaster is drawn in this way in the campaign so far and also the reputation of our city to the inside and the outside takes damage. Crucial is my concern for the people to the political culture in Cologne to a well-functioning administration.
There is one sentence that I have of Harry Blum: "If you step into the arena, you have to expect that you will get dusty feet."
I have worn this rate during the past few years always in my heart. And I have, I want to emphasize here, no fear of dusty feet. For they will more than offset by the great honor to serve my native city. On 17 September 2000 I accepted the greatest responsibility, which you can get transferred to Cologne.
I have sworn to take my job "to the best knowledge and Katana, the Basic Law, the Constitution of the State of North Rhine-Westphalia and the laws to respect and fulfill your duties for the good of the city of Cologne."
I will fulfill to the last day of my term of office to my duties and responsibilities involved. I'm going to 20 October this year, my follow me by the people of Cologne transferred responsibility - with grace, dignity and joy, with heart and mind.
Because there are so many things to do to make so many decisions, including those that extend into the next and after next decade. The decision to not compete, give me the necessary space to focus fully on these matters and decisions. And I very much hope that this decision contributes to the political actors, the size of our tasks will be aware after the accident and their responsibilities. In that sense, I would like a new beginning for the political culture in our city.